Difference: Augmented Reality (AR) vs Virtual Reality (VR) Vs Mixed Reality (MR)
What is the Reality of Technology? How has it evolved over the Years?
Technology has evolved over the years with the help of research and new methods of implementing hassle free work using machinery and equipment.
As we know, science and technology are required in each and every field in the industry and the work has become much simpler.
Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Mixed Reality have taken the world into a different modernized platform.
The 21st century marks the era of innovation and leads to highly customizable technical equipment.
Also, the internet is most effective in mass communication and carrying out various processes through various software.
Reality is a concept which contradicts itself when applied in the process. Basically, the reality is anything that we can feel, see, hear or touch or anything that has some potential existence in the world through a series of mediums.
The reality in technology is a contrast to the environment of real-world experience or physical existence.
However, technological reality or referred to as virtual reality is a contrast to the same and can be a fictitious or fantasy element.
It minimizes the gap between real-life and internet world by a single medium or program.
There are various types of reality other than Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Mixed Reality. They are X-Reality, Increased Reality and so on.
- Current market survey reveals that 97% of the people who have used VR believe that it is the best tool for educational purpose and 42% population will take the assistance of Virtual Reality Devices for educational training and stuff.
- The market for VR is expected to grow by 15 million USD by the year 2020.
- The revenue generated from AR and MR will be crossing 8.3 billion USD mark in unison by 2021.
- The use of all three technologies is increasing by a rate of 12% every year and greatly influenced the science and technology.
- The application of Reality in technology is going to rise in the fields of e-commerce, marketing, and gaming.
Let us have a brief look at the different types of Reality in Technology:
What is Virtual Reality?
Virtual Reality or known as VR helps in creating a stimulus of the environment with the help of computer programming.
In Layman’s terms, it is a technological illusion created to give a real-time effect for an individual.
It does not involve a screen for viewing but has special VR devices giving you a three-dimensional experience.
With the combined simulation of various human senses, the computer transforms the algorithms into a code so we can enjoy a first-person mode similar to computer gaming.
- The device is basically a head-mounted display (HMD).
- It is highly compatible and light-weight giving the advantage of a fun experience, especially for game consoles.
- Has the advantage of place and time transitions.
Visual creations and display technology make VR stand out from the traditional user interface of operating on TV or computer screens.
With the introduction to new technology and various software, the VR devices are also upgrading accordingly and various companies have entered the competition in producing high-end VR devices like Oculus Quest, PlayStation, and even Google.
The best advantage of VR technology is that you can use it anywhere, let it be your home or office, just taking a break from your busy schedule and mounting a VR-helmet on top of your head brings out the inner you in a fraction of seconds.
Virtual reality is kind of an artificial one.
What is Augmented Reality?
The projection of real-world experience with the help of technology onto different devices or screens was once beyond imagination for mankind.
However, with speedy growth in scientific inventions, it has become a part of life.
Augmented Reality or AR is similar to Virtual Reality but not the same.
It is an enhanced version of reality for adding digital information to a pre-existing technology.
- It is used for many smartphone applications and mostly it is focused on the usage of its camera.
- The camera is an essential component for its projection. Games are played on a greater scale using AR technology.
Examples are as follows:
- One of the most popular examples is of Google Earth or Google maps. These applications make real-world maps appear in a detailed manner on your phones or computers
- Food delivery applications
- Online delivery apps
What is Mixed Reality?
In simple terms, Mixed Reality or MR is the hybrid of Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality.
It merges real and virtual worlds to create an amazing audio-visual experience in new environments.
Mixed reality provides you with a good quality visual illusion to boggle your minds in thinking illusions to be the reality which is not true in the actual sense.
- Interactive 3D display
- Great combination of AR and VR technology.
- These are used for interactive and advanced virtual experience at the same time which is useful for
- MR has various applications in various fields such as making product catalogs, interactive 3D devices.
- Combat reality is another field that used Mixed Reality on a huge scale. Military training with the help of MR devices not only trains the personnel in an efficient manner but also provides a nice 3D experience in ammunition and combat techniques.
- Popular in entertainment and theme parks.
All the three technologies have slight differences but not the same. They may be similar but give a different experience individually.
- Virtual Reality
It has the ability to let its user travel to different locations with the help of a VR device.
Thus, the user can translocate himself from place to place with the help of its technology.
VR headsets are the most popular forms of it. These days we have the application called 360 degrees view which enables us to view a certain element from all angles. This is also an example of Virtual Reality.
- Augmented Reality
The Augmented technique helps you to create a digital scenario rather than giving you the feature of teleporting to various places virtually.
It is rather a good choice as it helps you locate places of your choice with the help of the AR application.
As mentioned earlier, maps prove to be the best version of Augmented Reality.
The number of services offered on the internet such as different apps and games merging real-life locations and scenarios with GPS technology is a form of this reality.
- Mixed Reality
It combines the above two. It is the next evolution of human and computer interaction.
With good quality graphics and real-time location, the MR creates a type of hologram making it blend in the current environment.
Thus, we get the digital as well as physical experience at the same time.
The AR VR MR technology has a bright future as our lives are mainly dependent upon the use of machines and robotics.
- Makes education process simple
- Creating a realistic world
- 3D experience
- High-quality graphics
- Limited mobility due to illusions created
- Technology is very complicated
- When used properly can provide the best real-world effects and scenes.
- Strong functionality
- Best use for smartphones
- Can be upgraded with new versions of handsets
- Some headsets are very expensive
- Limited display radius
- Not usable for all devices
- Internet connection is a must
- Low maintenance
- High-quality control
- Replacement of skilled physical labor
- Combined application of virtual and augmented reality
- Serious ill-effects on health
- Not completely secure
- Highly addictive
- Can cause a leak in personal information
- Can cause a complete disconnection with the real world psychologically.
Virtual Reality is mostly used for computer games and video games. It helps in creating a sensible world where a person can experiment with digitally created surroundings in the actual environment.
For example, if you are looking for a restaurant then the VR technology makes you travel to that specific location (restaurant in this case) but the thing is you are actually not.
And with the help of augmented reality, you can locate the same restaurant on your mobile application showing its details, locations, and other factors.
Virtual reality provides the user with a depth effect leading you the location itself while AR gives you more freedom to choose from different options simultaneously.
The world-famous game of Pokemon Go influenced millions of people in the world which was based on the technology of Augmented Reality.
With basic differences in the above two, mixed reality is also effective.
VR vs augmented reality have its own pros and cons while Mixed Reality vs Augmented Reality has its own features.
Mixed Reality (MR) is mentioned as an improved version of Augmented Reality (AR).
In increased Reality, like Google Glass, the visible natural setting is overlaid with a layer of digital content.
It means it is an improved feature in raising the available technology to a whole new level. But the case is totally different from Mixed Reality, as virtual objects are integrated into the system.
For example, a virtual object underneath your table would be blocked from a user’s head unless he bends all the way down to consider it or pick it up.
The world is accepting different forms of technology and implementing them into the business.
Mixed Reality takes the simplest qualities of existing video games to form an immersive interface that overlays upon the user’s reality.
Instead of displaying easy pictures like Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality strives to place absolutely digital objects that are traceable and uncontrollable within the user’s setting.
Users will truly read and manipulate things from totally different angles simultaneously.
This sort of additional process, powers up more than AR, which is one main reason that Mixed Reality applications and devices are still within the acceptable boundaries of the users and easily operational.
The reality in technology has a massive effect on today’s world. The use of technology has also improved over time and with proper use of AR VR and MR, it can create amazing results.
The configuration of images, audio and the surrounding environment with optical illusions in the devices leads to a mesmerizing experience and this the actual objective of digital companies to provide an ever-lasting experience.
This technology has grabbed the market at a faster pace and surely going to increase in the upcoming years.
Mixed reality is the future. VR still has a giant impact, particularly for gaming and motion-picture photography.
However, MR can cause the merging of both VR and AR technology in the future and thus the other two realities can go absent.