We understand that establishing trust without a meeting, seeing, and knowing your outsourced development partner can be challenging. However, in today’s business landscape, technology, and trust are crucial elements that contribute to ethical strength and success.
Regarding outsourcing, entrepreneurs entrust their vendors with faith and take risks, expecting exceptional results and outcomes. In this blog, we have prepared a comprehensive guide that you should review before outsourcing Ruby on Rails developers for your business.
We start with a checklist of essential qualifications your ideal offshore RoR developers should possess. Additionally, we provide a list of scenarios where outsourcing RoR development may be the right path and explain the reasons behind it. Let’s now explore the steps involved in outsourcing Ruby on Rails development and discuss importantly do’s and don’ts to consider.
Why Should You Outsource Ruby on Rails Development?
Outsourcing Ruby on Rails development services can be a strategic decision for businesses looking for cost-effective solutions to their software development needs. Partnering with a reputable Ruby on Rails development company can provide access to top talent, faster development cycles, scalability, and flexibility, all while reducing costs and maximizing efficiency.
Outsourcing allows businesses to leverage the cost advantages of offshore development centers in countries with lower labor costs. It can result in significant cost savings compared to in-house development, as it eliminates the need for hiring and training in-house developers, setting up infrastructure, and investing in hardware and software.
Outsourcing allows businesses to choose engagement models that fit their budget, such as fixed-price or hourly rates, depending on their project requirements.
☛ Access to Top Talent
Access to top talent is another compelling reason to outsource Ruby on Rails development. Reputable Ruby on Rails development companies have a global talent pool of experienced and skilled RoR developers who are experts in their field.
It allows businesses to select from a diverse talent pool with specialized expertise in different aspects of RoR development, ensuring they have the right resources for their project. Outsourcing also eliminates geographical limitations, as businesses can collaborate with teams across different time zones, expanding their development capabilities.
☛ Faster Development Cycles
Faster development cycles are another advantage of outsourcing RoR development. Dedicated teams can work round-the-clock, resulting in faster project delivery.
Outsourced RoR developers can also provide quick turnaround times for bug fixes, updates, and feature enhancements, helping businesses stay ahead of the competition and meet tight deadlines.
☛ Scalability and Flexibility
Scalability and flexibility are also key benefits of outsourcing Ruby on Rails development. Businesses can easily scale their development team up or down based on project needs without long-term commitments or overhead costs. It allows businesses to adapt to changing market demands and adjust the team size, resources, and expertise as needed.
When Should You Consider Outsourcing RoR Development?
Outsourcing RoR development can be a strategic decision in various scenarios such as startups, MVP development, eCommerce platforms, social networking apps, and platforms with complex database requirements. Outsourcing RoR development can be ideal in the following cases:
Startups often face budget and timeline constraints, and RoR’s rapid development capabilities make it a popular choice for building Minimum Viable Products (MVPs). RoR allows startups to quickly release a product, onboard the first users, and start iterating. Its flexibility and efficiency in handling complex backends and large databases make it well-suited for startups with limited resources.
☛ MVPs (Minimum Viable Products)
RoR is recommended for developing cost-effective and quick MVPs. It has been traditionally used for generating prototypes, proposing changes, and verifying software iterations before building fully functional applications. RoR and Ruby are designed to make development easier and faster, making them ideal for short MVPs or proofs-of-concept.
☛ eCommerce Platforms
Many eCommerce websites rely on Ruby as their primary programming language. RoR’s speed of expansion, adaptability, and cost-effectiveness make it suitable for building eCommerce platforms. Notable examples include Shopify and Spree, built using the RoR framework. RoR continues to be a popular choice for eCommerce applications, despite the transition of Shopify to pure Ruby development.
☛ Social Networking Apps
Ruby’s ability to handle traffic-heavy applications suits social networking apps. Twitter was originally built using RoR, and RoR remains a solid foundation for organizations to test their ideas without committing to lengthy and costly development.
☛ Platforms that Support Complex Databases
RoR is commonly used in the world’s largest database websites, including analytical and multi-platform portals. Bloomberg and GitHub are two notable examples of platforms that utilize RoR for their complex database needs.
Global Talent at Your Fingertips: Hiring Offshore Ruby on Rails Developers
Steps To Consider When You Outsource RoR Web Development
When outsourcing RoR web development, following certain steps is important to ensure a successful partnership with the right vendor. Here are the steps to consider:
- Define Your Business Goals: Before outsourcing RoR web development, it’s crucial to clearly define your business goals. Identify the problem you want to solve or the product vision you want to bring to life. It will help you select the right vendor and collaboration approach. For example, if you need custom software development, look for organizations specializing in it. To verify a product vision, look for vendors that provide a discovery phase. If you need additional engineering personnel, consider outsourcing your IT.
- Gather Information and Determine Scope: Every successful project starts with meticulous preparation. Gather information, and discuss timelines, estimated expansion potential, scaling capabilities, and potential interactions with third-party software and systems. This will help you determine the scope of the task and set clear expectations with the outsourcing partner.
- Select a Reputable RoR Outsourcing Development Partner: Choose a reliable RoR development partner with a proven track record. Look for experience, certifications, accreditations, and a diverse portfolio of projects. Check their case studies and testimonials to ensure their authenticity and trustworthiness. Verify if they follow systematic procedures, with Agile methodology preferable for efficient project management.
- Lay a Foundation of Trust by Signing a Contract: It’s essential to establish trust with the outsourcing partner by signing a contract. Ensure they sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to protect your authentication and privacy. It will provide legal protection and set clear expectations for both parties.
By following these steps, you can ensure a successful outsourcing experience for your RoR web development project. Carefully defining your business goals, gathering information, selecting a reputable outsourcing partner, and establishing a foundation of trust through a contract is key to a fruitful partnership.
Key Do’s & Don’ts for Outsourced Ruby on Rails Development Team Management
When it comes to managing an outsourced Ruby on Rails development team, certain do’s and don’ts can make or break the success of your project. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
☛ The Do’s:
- Clearly Define Project Scope and Expectations: It’s crucial to clearly define the project scope and expectations for the outsourced RoR development team. Provide detailed documentation, specifications, and requirements to ensure a shared understanding of the project goals, timelines, and deliverables.
- Establish Effective Communication Channels: Communication is the key to successful project management. Set up effective communication channels with the outsourced team, such as regular video calls, project management tools, and email. Foster open and transparent communication to ensure smooth collaboration and quick resolution of any issues.
- Foster Collaboration and Trust: Treat your outsourced RoR development team as an extension of your in-house team. Foster a collaborative and inclusive environment where team members feel valued and trusted. Encourage knowledge sharing, provide timely feedback, and acknowledge their contributions to build trust and mutual respect.
- Set Realistic Expectations: Setting realistic expectations with the outsourced team regarding project timelines, deliverables, and quality standards is important. Avoid overloading the team with an unrealistic workload or expecting instant results. Setting achievable expectations will help avoid unnecessary stress and ensure a smoother project workflow.
☛ The Don’ts:
- Micromanage the Team: Micromanaging the outsourced RoR development team can hinder their productivity and motivation. Avoid constantly checking on their progress or questioning their decisions. Trust their expertise and provide autonomy for them to work efficiently.
- Neglect Communication and Feedback: Lack of communication and feedback can lead to misunderstandings and delays in the project. Avoid neglecting communication with the outsourced team and provide timely feedback on their work. Keep the lines of communication open and ensure regular updates on the project’s progress.
- Overlook Cultural Differences: When working with an outsourced team, be mindful of cultural differences that may impact communication and work styles. Avoid overlooking these differences and be respectful and accommodating towards the cultural nuances of the team.
- Neglect Quality Assurance: Quality assurance is crucial for any software development project. Avoid neglecting quality assurance processes with the outsourced RoR development team. Clearly define quality standards, conduct regular testing, and ensure adherence to coding standards and best practices.
By following these do’s and avoiding the don’ts, you can effectively manage your outsourced RoR development team and ensure a successful project outcome. Clear communication, collaboration, trust, realistic expectations, and attention to quality assurance are key to a smooth and productive outsourcing experience.
Offshore RoR Developer: Essential Roles & Responsibilities
When it comes to outsourcing Ruby on Rails development, hiring the right offshore RoR developer is crucial for the success of your project. The roles and responsibilities of an offshore RoR developer go beyond coding and require a diverse skill set to ensure efficient development and delivery of high-quality RoR web applications. Here are some essential roles and responsibilities to look for in an offshore RoR developer:
- RoR Web Application Development: The primary responsibility of an offshore RoR developer is to develop web applications using the Ruby on Rails framework. It includes writing clean, maintainable, and efficient code, implementing features as per the project requirements, and following coding standards and best practices.
- Database Management: RoR developers are responsible for designing, creating, and managing databases using tools such as ActiveRecord, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other database management systems. This includes ensuring data integrity, optimizing database performance, and handling migrations.
- Troubleshooting & Bug Fixing: Offshore RoR developers should be skilled in identifying and fixing bugs, issues, and errors in the RoR application. It includes conducting thorough testing, debugging, and troubleshooting to ensure the smooth functioning of the web application.
- Collaboration & Communication: Communication is crucial in a remote working setup, and offshore RoR developers should possess excellent communication skills to collaborate effectively with the team. This includes regular communication through email, chat, video calls, or project management tools and providing timely updates on the project’s progress.
- Technical Expertise: Offshore RoR developers should stay updated with the latest RoR frameworks, libraries, tools, and technologies. It includes proficiency in RoR concepts such as MVC architecture, RESTful APIs, version control using Git, testing frameworks like RSpec, and other related technologies.
- Problem-Solving & Analytical Skills: Offshore RoR developers should possess strong problem-solving and analytical skills to identify and resolve complex issues, optimize performance, and improve the overall functionality of the RoR application.
- Code Review & Quality Assurance: Offshore RoR developers should follow coding standards, perform code reviews, and ensure code quality to maintain the integrity and stability of the RoR application. It includes following coding best practices, writing unit tests, and conducting thorough code reviews.
- Project Management: Offshore RoR developers should be able to manage their work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and ensure the successful completion of assigned tasks. It includes understanding project requirements, estimating timelines, and delivering quality work within the agreed-upon timeframe.
Also Read: Hire Python Developers for Your Outsourcing Needs
RoR Development Outsourcing: Must-Ask Interview Questions
It’s crucial to ask the right interview questions when hiring Ruby on Rails developers for your project. Here are some key interview questions to consider when outsourcing an RoR developer of your choice:
1. What are the advantages of using rails?
Using Rails offers several advantages, including faster development with convention over configuration, built-in ORM with ActiveRecord for efficient database operations, extensive community support for troubleshooting and best practices, and built-in testing tools for reliable code.
2. What is the difference between a gem and a plugin in Ruby?
In Ruby, a gem is a reusable code package managed with RubyGems, while a plugin is used to modify or extend Rails application behavior.
3. How do you handle database migrations in RoR?
Database migrations in RoR are managed using ActiveRecord, which provides a versioning system for handling changes to the database schema over time, allowing for seamless updates without data loss.
4. Describe how Rails implements Ajax?
5. Can you explain the process of deploying an RoR application to a production server?
Deploying an RoR application to a production server involves setting up the server environment, installing necessary dependencies, configuring the application for production use, and deploying the code using tools like Capistrano or other deployment scripts, ensuring a smooth and secure deployment process.
Outsourcing Ruby on Rails development can provide cost-effective solutions for your project. By partnering with a reliable Ruby on Rails development company you can access a pool of skilled and experienced RoR developers at competitive rates.
Outsourcing allows you to tap into global talent, access cutting-edge technologies, and achieve faster time-to-market for your project. With efficient project management and communication, outsourcing RoR development services can be a strategic decision for your business.
Consider outsourcing your Ruby on Rails development needs to a trusted partner and reap the benefits of cost-effective and efficient solutions for your project.