Get the Difference Between Native Apps, Web Apps, & Hybrid Apps
As per the statistics generated by Flurry Analytics, while using a mobile phone a person spends approximately 90% of their time on apps. However, every sort of mobile application has its features. Native, Web App and hybrid App Development come with their own set of pros and cons and this makes it utterly difficult to select a wholehearted winner.
There prevail various misconceptions regarding app development, particularly for mobile platforms. The most general struggle for most of the firms is, which one they should prefer? Which alternative among native, web, and hybrid will be a better option?
The answer to this will be based on the priorities of your firm and elements like:
- What should be the speed of your app?
- What goals do you want to accomplish through this app?
- What budget do you have for app development?
- What characteristics do you require?
To ease out your work, let us strike out the point of differentiation between native, hybrid and Web App Development and check out the pros and cons of each so that you can easily comprehend which approach will be an ideal alternative for you.
Native apps are the most commonly used form of mobile applications which are downloaded from Google Play store or App Stores. It is a software program which is built for use on a specific device or platform.
As a native app is developed for use on the specific device and its OS, it has the potential to use device-specific software and hardware. A native app can offer enhanced performance and take benefits of the freshest technology like GPS.
The two prime mobile OS platforms for native apps are Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS. Native apps are written down with preliminary codes which are used for device and it’s OS.
Native apps work well with OS devices in a manner that they provide them with a fast and versatile approach in comparison to other kinds of applications.
Examples of native apps
With the potential to tap into certain resources, native apps can rapidly reach various services on a device, like push notifications, microphone or accelerometer. Leading examples of a list of native apps are social applications like Twitter, navigation programs like Waze or games like Pokémon Go.
A native app is downloaded directly on mobiles. Data which is related to the native app is generally stored on the device or sometimes on cloud-based storage.
Merits and demerits of native apps:
The merits of using native apps consist of:
- Native App Development helps to access a wide range of functions because of using the potentials of the central device
- Rapid and accessible performance of software
- A UI which ideally matches with the user experience of OS platforms
- Quality is guaranteed through ratings present in the app store.
- Push Notifications.
The demerits of native apps consist of:
- Every device has its own code base and hence a separate version of the app needs to generate for every device.
- The expenses of extra developers to develop and handle a code base for every platform are high.
- The time consumed in developing multiple codes for different platforms with every feature update is comparatively high.
A web app is a kind of computer program that makes use of web browser and web technology to accomplish various functions on the internet.
Thousands of business houses make use of the internet as an economical communication path. It permits them to interchange data with their potential clients and makes transactions more secured and rapid.
Though, effective indulgence is possible while the business house is capable of capturing and storing all the essential information and offering the outcomes to the users.
Moreover, the web apps permit employees to make documents, collaborate on assignments, share data and work on common documents irrespective of the device or location.
Example of web apps
Examples of web apps consist of shopping carts, online forms, spreadsheets, file conversion, e-mail programs like Yahoo, Gmail or AOL, word processor, video and photo editing, file scanning and much more. Famous web apps consist of Microsoft 365 and Google applications.
Google apps consist of Gmail, Google sheets, Google sheets, Google slides, online storage function and such. Other functions consist of sharing documents and calendars on online platforms. This permits squad members to work on a similar version of the document at once.
Merits and demerits of web apps:
The merits of using web apps consist of:
- Web apps function on numerous platforms irrespective of OS or device, just the browser needs to be compatible.
- All users are permitted to reach out to a similar version, getting rid of any sort of compatibility problems.
- It is not necessary to install them on the hard drive which alleviates the issue of space restrictions.
- Web apps drop down software piracy in subscription-based web apps.
- They decrease the expenses of business as well as of the end user as they need fewer amounts of support and maintenance from the business and lower needs from the computer of the end user.
The demerits of using web apps consist of:
- A greater level of internet dependency, without access to internet or Wi-Fi facility the user will not be permitted to work on web apps.
- Most of the individuals associated with business are of the view that data is not secured in the cloud environment.
- Web apps tend to function at a slightly slower speed in comparison to the ones which function on the servers locally.
- Not everyone makes use of a similar browser. This implies that while developing the user will require making sure that the app swiftly supports multiple browsers.
Hybrid apps are the ones in which the developer tends to blend features of native apps as well as web apps. Native apps are built for a certain platform and are downloaded on a computing device whereas web apps are usually developed for multifarious platforms and are not downloaded locally rather they are accessed over the internet with the help of a browser. Hybrid applications are generally used for mobile computing.
Most of the apps could be accounted for as a hybrid app, web applications like online banking services generally store some content locally and some locally stored native applications like Microsoft Word also affiliates with the internet.
The various platforms on which hybrid apps function like:
1. PhoneGap/Cordova –
2. Canvas –
Canvas lets the user publish a mobile-optimized website just like a native app. Technically, canvas counts on the native code base for Android and iOS platforms. The app is crafted to rely on a remote web app which manages any alteration on your mobile website instantly. It is cost-friendly and is of premium quality for making a mobile app for a website.
Examples of hybrid apps
There are various hybrid apps present in the market which are well-equipped with a high quality of performance and are responsive. Some of the popular examples of the best hybrid apps are Instagram, Evernote, Baskin Robins, Pacifica, Remote POS, Sworkit, Uber and much more.
Merits and demerits of hybrid apps:
The merits of using hybrid apps consist of:
- Hybrid apps can function smoothly whether or not the device has internet connectivity.
- It has a consolidated file mechanism with the device.
- Embedded browser helps in enhancing reach to online content of dynamic nature.
- Rather than developing two applications, the developers go ahead with just one and some simple alterations will help the app to be versatile enough to function on both platforms.
- As only a single code base is required to be managed, it needs only fifty percent of the developers and nearly half the time which is engaged in the development of native apps.
- Hybrid apps are simple to scale on other platforms as well. Once the application is developed for one platform, it can be easily released on another platform such as Windows Mobile.
The demerits of using hybrid apps consist of:
- There is a restricted user interface as hybrid apps have a pattern which does not have native feels. The user interface is not flawless. There are chances restrictions because of the use of WebView and this does not permit utilization of full capability of the device. Every platform, iOS or Android has its separate set of features which developers desire to use. In case of amalgamation of certain plugins and code of the platform will be exploited to avail them in a hybrid app. This factor creates complexities in app development assignments.
- A greater level of dependency on the speed of the browser.
- Cross-platform development is difficult. Making your hybrid app to function properly on every kind of platform usually takes substantial tasks. In specific circumstances, the total expenses may be equal to the fully native app which nullifies cost merits.
- iOS and Android users possess to be very loyal to their platforms and as they have been using those for years together. The differences between to two are subtle yet they can irritate the app users.
- By developing a hybrid app, you will not be capable to please both the platforms. Trying hard to customize the app depending on the two platforms will make you end up have double expenses.
Here, the question arises that which one out of the three should be given priority? To make the ideal selection, it is very essential to comprehend the point of differentiation of each alternative, so that you can move in the right direction.
Native, mobile webs, as well as hybrid apps have their own sets of merits and demerits and the ultimate decision will solely be based on the needs and requirements of the user
After taking into account all the alternatives, it is necessary to Hire mobile app development services to turn your ideas and thoughts into reality by using cost-effective and efficient means. Outsourcing your app development is an excellent manner to test the function of your application without employing a permanent staff member solely for that purpose.