Netflix chose the niche of movies and TV shows
Twitch is all about video games
Metacafe focuses on short entertainment clips
Pornhub decided on 18+ content
☛ Must-Have Features in Sites Similar to YouTube
The number of features constitutes a majority of the total cost to develop an app like Youtube. Following are the main features of Youtube that you should be having in your app:
- Playback – Since 2015, Youtube can be accessed without the help of external plugins irrespective of the device or browser.
- Uploading – Youtube allows its registered members to upload videos from any device from which they can access Youtube. A video of up to 12 hours can be uploaded.
- Video Quality – The users can view videos on Youtube in different quality levels from standard to high quality. Also, there is an option to change the video quality as per convenience.
- Live Streaming – The registered users have the option of live streaming on Youtube.
- Community – It is a social-media-based feature. Users can post comments and images in a community tab.
- Content Accessibility – A user can use the videos on Youtube on other websites with the help of HTML that the original video has.
- Platform – Youtube is available on various platforms either as a website or mobile app.
- Localization – A unique interface in different countries is known as localization. It helps Youtube in preventing the upload of any illegal videos.
Cost to Develop an App Like YouTube:
We have already discussed features to be included in Youtube and similar sites. Even though it is one of the major factors to affect the cost to develop an app like Youtube, we have bifurcated in the cost below on the basis of development stages.
You will need a lot of commitment to creating other platforms like Youtube. Planning is the groundwork for your project. You need to plan for a website that has better features than Youtube.
If the resources to start building the website are already available then this stage will cost you the minimum and somewhere between $0 to $500.
Wireframe provides a base for the UX designers to create your screens. On the other hand, sitemaps present a systematic view of a website. It will help users to navigate through the website.
You can call wireframes the floor plan of a project and include the design and content flow in it. The approximate cost for this stage in the development process can be $0 to $1000.
The design stage will have a precise plan for developing the website. A developer will need the template of the website, content, and other technical aspects to be included.
In the entire process, the virtual design will play a crucial role. From the total cost to develop an app like Youtube, the cost of designing will be around $1000 to $2000.
It is not necessary that a developer is good at multiple coding languages. So, he may have to hire someone to do the job. The same applies to server-side developers. Even if you hire a team of developers, you may need to hire server-side developers separately.
Therefore, as mentioned earlier depending on the number of features, the development phase will cost you around $2500 to $3000.
☛ Website Content
The role of content in increasing the popularity of a website is inevitable. If the developers can write content for you, it is well and good.
If not you may have to hire a content writer who will cost you somewhere between $250 to $500.
☛ Client Documents
A website similar to Youtube requires client documents for storing any digital file. For file sharing, you will have to purchase cloud storage. Its minimum cost is $240-$500.
☛ Testing & Launching
Before launching a website, testing is a step that cannot be missed at any cost. The website can be tested via automated testing or manual testing. Now, after testing comes the launch of your website.
Mind you the launching of your website will also include the advertising costs. The total cost to test and launch your website will vary from $900 to $1000.
Total Cost to Develop an App Like YouTube
Thus, after taking into consideration all the stages of development and their approximate costs, the total cost to develop an app like Youtube comes to $4700 to $84000.
Yes, we recognize that the price range is quite huge but it is because the total cost involves a lot of factors. Moreover, these factors may also vary depending on the geographical location.
For instance, the location of Android or iPhone app development company that you hire will affect their hourly costs. Therefore, it is recommended you do some research from your end even before you hire a development team.
Do you have any more questions about developing an app like Youtube? Or do you have an idea but want to know its feasibility and cost? Whatever your requirement is, drop a brief on [email protected] now!